Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Stuff I've Been Reading: June & July Super-Special

Hello and welcome to "Stuff I've Been Reading," a weekly variety show starring Barry Williams (the original Greg Brady) and the number one flirt herself Haviland Stillwell. I'm your host Riese. Today's show is going to be a blog post about Stuff I've Been Reading, a.k.a. the (bi)monthly auto-win segment inspired by Nick Hornby's column by the same name at The Believer. (Prior installments of "SIBR": Jan., Feb, March, April/May ) Hornby's mission statement, and mine: ""A Hilarious and True Account of One Man's Struggle With The Monthly Tide of The Books He's Bought and The Books He's Been Meaning to Read.""

This month I combine June & July into a Big Reading Sandwich, like World Book. More about Auto-Win Book Club #2 at the end of this post. Guess who wrote a book? Mia Kirshner (Jenny from The L Word)! OMG, what if I WROTE Some of her Parts? Like, the memoir? Then we could vote on what's better, my edition of Jenny Schecter's Some of Her Parts or Mia's book I Live Here, which's not about the toolshed, it's about people with real problems, like in Africa and stuff. It's not out 'til October, but probs most of you know a thing or two about waiting.

BOOKS BOUGHT/RECEIVED
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, Junot Dìaz
Live Through This: On Creativity and Self-Destruction, edited by Sabrina Chapadjiev
The Andy Warhol Diaries, edited by Pat Hackett
How Sassy Changed my Life: A Love Letter to the Greatest Teen Magazine of All Time, by Kara Jesella and Marisa Melzer
The Worst Days of Your Life, edited by Mark Jude Ponier
Learning to Love You More , edited by Harrell Fletcher & Miranda July

BOOKS READ
Veronica, by Mary Gaitkskill - (re-read)
Live Through This,, edited by Sabrina Chapadjiev
Orlando, by Virginia Woolf
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, Junot Diaz
How Sassy Changed my Life, by Kara Jesella and Marisa Melzer
Learning to Love You More , edited by Harrell Fletcher & Miranda July

I was talking about books and re-reading w/a blog commenter on facebook (I'd like to make this sentence as geeky as possible. I should add: "while reading babylon-5 fan-fic & watching re-runs of Quantum Leap."), and he asked me: "How do you know if you really like a book if you only read it once? Reading a book for the first time is like having sex with someone for the first time ... it's new, and it's exciting, but none of the bits quite line up like you're used to, and it's always a little bit confusing."

[Just as a sidenote; he also compared creative writing vs. literary criticism to sex in a recent comment.]

I'm currently in withdrawal over Mary Gaitskill's inability to pound out a Joyce Carol Oates-ian nine novels a year. I eat M.G.'s work. I'm hungry. So I returned to Veronica. I loved it! Again! I'm re-reading all my favorite books now from now on. I realized I'd missed much of the present-tense voice (w/its trees, moss, grass, etc) the first time around. Caitlin read it simultaneously for the first time so we could have mini-bookclub.

If I had to compare re-reading Veronica to sex, I'd say it'd be like having sex with an ex you know you're going to fall in love with all over again, and that this time around it'll work. That never happens in real life, that's why I love literature.

I'd suggested Live Through This: On Creativity and Self Destruction as a book club selection, then got it anyway. Firstly, so glad I picked Oscar Wao. (which clearly I won't talk about here, 'cause that's what Auto-Win Book Club is for!) I read it in about two days, 'cause I thought I'd include it in a review I penned for a new magazine, but didn't finish in time.

Anyhow, if you thought you'd like LTT, you should get it, 'cause it has some really perfect moments, I'd recommend it. OK but -- Secondly; though the collection's got a great-line up (e.g., Eileen Myles, Bell Hooks, Cristy C. Road) and several intensely compelling pieces, I did yell at my wall and scream at Tinkerbell about it.

Here's why: most essays aren't about creativity & self-destruction so much as they're about rehabilitation from creativity & self-destruction and advice on how to stop self-destruction. I know that's wise, but it felt preachy, I was expecting more about how to lessen the harm and incorporate various 'self-destructive' behaviors, not escape it. Myles's contribution, about obsessive toothbrushing and alcoholism, "Live Through That?!" is a stand-out - exceptional piece. Other highlights include Silas Howard's San Francisco addiction memoir "Friends as Heroes" and Toni Blackman's poignant "Rappin' my Wounds." An excerpt:

"Your insanity is his insanity. His crazy belongs to you ... you want to love him ... want to make the nonsense make sense ... he has used your secrets as weapons in verbal warfare. He berates you and puts down your work. He tells you how to speak at meetings, how to stand in line ... he was taught that criticism is love. It is not ... He wants you to be different, to be like him, think like him, talk like him and you want to simply be. Even his best attempts at apologies feel like intentional disses." (pg. 138, Toni Blackman)

But what really got my goat is that of all the pieces, only ONE addresses incorporating this self destruction into their lives (sans "my work is MUCH better now that I'm sober/eating/whatevs!" waxing poetic) -- and it's a bipolar writer arguing that other bipolar peoples should eschew "cutting off" "so-called symptoms" with medicine/treatment and rather explore their inner beings and untapped capacities. Then she mouths off about how she loves her cello and sometimes she sits down and talks to it and all bipolar people should damn the man, fuck all kinds of Seroquel, mental health is just trying to keep us DOWN!

That's fine, I hope she never hits or berates her daughter/son or girlfriend/boyfriend, like um, Toni Blackman's ex-boyfriend, clearly all he needed was a cello or maybe a viola. Moving on.

How do I consistently end up w/Virginia Woolf by the pool? Key Bisquane's windy bluesy wind nearly stole A Room Of One's Own, and I found myself on the Ro-Boat deck reading Orlando. Anyways, you know how when you're exercising, you're pumped up thinking how good this activity is for you rather than how good it feels right that minute? It was like that. I kinda felt like Woolf was playing with us, but in the funnest way possible, like "I'm Virigina Woolf and I'm gonna write a crazy-ass story where all kinds of bizarre shit happens and it's kinda mostly about/for this girl I la-la-love! There's pictures! Oh, and it's gonna be GOOD!" I found it super interesting/monumental from a queer studies perspective, filled in a lot of gaps from bisexual studies books I've read.

Anyhow, speaking of page-turners -- haha! No, this one really was. I'm bursting with big revolution ideas lately and I'd been hoping to read How Sassy Changed my Life, since it came out, we saw it in a D.C. bookstore and nabbed it, I read it immediately and everywhere, then made Stef, Caitlin and Haviland read it. Hav stole it away to L.A., and then mailed it back to Caitlin who's in New Jersey with cholera.

HSCML is packed with "ooo! ooo!" moments -- "OMG, Jane Pratt and I have so much in common!" I squealed about teenage-girl-in-the-90's nostalgia (omg! postal mail was so important!), like a trip down one of the only adolescent memory lanes I'd still find charming. A bit kiss-ass at times, but I'll kiss Sassy's ass any time. I'd like to start a magazine one day but first I need my own cooking show called "One-Pot Cooking" with a guarantee no meal will require washing over two (2) dishes.
++

I think lately I'm especially drawn to books which provide glimpses into the evolution and maintenance of various community-oriented/collective arts. I ordered The Andy Warhol Diaries during my intense phase of obsession, it's approximately a bajillon (20,000) pages long. If Andy Warhol had a twitter feed (and you KNOW he would), this'd be it. Everywhere he went, all he ate, who he saw. I'll never finish it. It's an epic.

I got Learning to Love You More (Harrell Fletcher & Miranda July) at The Whitney gift shop when Alex, Caitlin and I went there with my Mom for the Biennial. July & Fletcher started a website in 2002 that invited visitors to accept assignments, complete it following instructions and send in a specified report (writing, photo, etc), this book's a collection of those things. Internet gimmick books aren't how I usually spend my money, but something about this mission -- which garnered heartfelt stories and photos from all over the world that truly penetrate a breadth of human emotion -- seemed way more beautiful than Stuff White People Like. I read it on the subway with Alex and Caitlin mostly, and then finished it at home. Howevs, I don't want to see anyone's parents kissing ever again.
++

Book Club!

I want the next Book Club book to be by a lady-writer. Though I loved Wao like SO MUCH, I was thinking that I wouldn't have ever recommended it to a friend so we could talk about it together (though I would recommend it simply because it's so good), like Veronica. Which isn't to say Veronica's a better book, it's just a book that for some reason struck a chord with me, that made me want to scream and recommend and gab. I'm gonna try to pick a book like that this time.

Wow. It's way harder to think of books by ladies I'm eager to read -- probs 'cause men still outnumber women in what's "out there" in the media so I'm more aware of their output. I've got heaps of women writers I still need to read pre-death, but those are older books and I like newer things for book club.

When I love a lady-writer I LOVE her, I never love a man-writer with the same intensity except Stephen Dunn. But, it's kinda lame that with all the feminist and literary blogs I read every day I don't have anything on the top of my head. Maybe women don't write as many books 'cause they have their period or have babies. BAKE ME A PIE WOMAN thank you.

Auto-Win Book Club #2 ... I'm really intrigued by the first one, I've read a lot about it and it would be fun! But in the interest of a democratic process, take a gander:

What it is, by Lynda Barry
Lying: A Memoir, by Lauren Slater
Diary of a Mad Housewife, by Sue Kauffman
White Teeth, by Zadie Smith
Family and Other Accidents, by Sheri Goldhagen
Break it Down, by Lydia Davis
The Best of Everything, by Rona Jaffe

Tell me what you like, grasshoppers. Personally, I love bears.

40 comments:

The Brooklyn Boy said...

I've already read White Teeth and discussed it, so I'll offer a nay vote on that one (is that legal? in poor taste? worth repeating?) while simulcasting a yay vote for Family and Other Accidents, which of course, I recommended. I effin love that book. And Shari writes her men like Diaz does women. Promise. I'm a dude and can vouch. Also, the book is quite beautifully devastating. You'll know what I mean if you read it, kids.

Meghan said...

I also vote against White Teeth. Also a nay for Lydia Davis, well, because I've read it, but also I think we'd have not so much to discuss. I think I'm going to join the brooklyn boy and vote for Family and Other Accidents. In part cause I love fiction the mostest.

Bourbon said...

I think we could go comment-wild discussing Lauren Slater's "memoir".

Anonymous said...

Bears are our nation's No. 1 threat! Doesn't anyone watch Colbert?

And that picture of you in that shirt reminds me of why I wish you'd swing back to the other side of the plate, at least for a night. Or five minutes.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I really liked White Teeth, and I was blown away by her ability to evoke so many distinct characters across cultures and have them interact. The pace feels a little rushed towards the end, but that is the only complaint I remember having. Otherwise, it taught me a lot about writing, and I thought it was really fun to read.

The Brooklyn Boy said...

Steph - My own viewpoints on White Teeth actually mirror yours somewhat. I just think we're better off reading something less broadly familiar ...

Adam Tiller said...

I hereby swear I will read whatever you pick.

It seems people are anti-White Teeth, which is a shame, because I'm embarrassed that I haven't read it yet, and I was hoping to sneak it in as "oh, I'm reading it for my book club, obvs."

But yeah...I'll join in the Family love because I like devastating, and I trust TBB's opinion.

Anonymous said...

So I'm totally going to read and discuss any book that is picked, but I personally would love to read any of the top three on your list. I haven't been able to read a book and discuss it in YEARS! So excitant!

Vashti said...

i'm really intrigued by Lying so i'm gonna go ahead and vote for it [despite the fact that it is not available at my local library].

sidenote: i have a shirt [that i made] that says i love bears.. but it's in reference to bear grylls.

cao said...

i've been waiting for this day!!! book club is going to have a new book.

i myself have never read white teeth but since others have; i put my vote in for the best of everything or family.

pushing a little for best of because of the female leads.

Anonymous said...

I love all bears...
the mammals, Bear Grylls, the cuddly homosexuals - all of em.

Although, I watch Colbert and totally forgot that he declared bears our nations biggest threat. I really had no idea what the hell Lozo was trying to say before.

Anyway, I have no opinions on these books cause I know nothing about them. So I concede to The Brooklyn Boy - whatever that guy says. :)

Also, I really wish Andy Warhol was on twitter... even if someone just pretended to be him, and quoted his diaries on a daily basis.

Vashti said...

sidenote to the sidenote: a;ex's comment sort of made me feel like i was wrong not to mention my love of bears other than just bear grylls. so i'd just like to say that i do in fact love all the bears that she mentioned.. but also add to that the chicago bears. my first bear/football love.

Anonymous said...

i loved veronica and i'm confused about how i hadn't read it sooner. also, the cholera has stopped my reading of sassy, but i feel like i'll be finishing it soon. umm just one little point, totally didn't go to the whitney with you guys. also, have never ever ever been on the subway with you and a;ex, but umm it sounds like a lot of fun. i vote for the Slater book, but my vote didn't count last time and i still loved the selection, so i'll go forth and read whatever you want. love and pinkberries.

Anonymous said...

oo! I really want to read Lying. I love that kind of thing (hello, Wasted!)and I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks of it. 'course I'll just go read it on my own eventually anyway. No to White Teeth, pretty please. And probably no to bears, too, honestly. Nothing personal, they just seem so big and fuzzy and it makes me a little nervous in some way I can't quite define...

Ellen said...

I feel like The Best of Everything is completely underrated -- as a story about single women in New York City back when there was even more of a stigma attached. But heck, all these books look pretty good. I never really got into Family and Other Accidents, but I only read about 2 chapters so I would be willing to try again.

The Brooklyn Boy said...

First off, thanks to meghan, adam, cao and a;ex for showing interest in Family and Other Accidents. I love that book like a celebretard loves going commando, so -- in the event it gets picked -- I'm def curious to see what you auto-winners make of it.

Beyond that, after browsing the other selections, I think razia's right - the slater book would defo spark massive comment commenting. Even if that doesn't get picked, I think I'm gonna read it anyway -- especially after having burned through and loved Janice Erlbaum's "Have You Found Her." Is there a rule on resuggesting close misses from a given book club vote?

Anonymous said...

oh Vashti, I totallyyy didn't feel you were wrong in mentioning only Bear Grylls in your first comment! In fact, I had forgotten there were bears other than the homosexual ones before you mentioned him.
Do you think Bear Grylls likes bears? Probs for lunch or something, yeah?

omg Cait your comment made me LOL super hard. I love how Riese's brain span automatically puts you in all her memories regardless.

Mercury said...

That quote sounded like she was talking about my dad. That's awesome. There are people like him out there - they should form a club and only be subjected socially to one another.

They'd fight all the time of course but it'd be great for the rest of us.

I'll leave the book selection up to y'all. I'm reading a physics book right now, "The Elegant Universe." Fiction would be a welcome break. I also have about 10 billion books I'm halfway through that I intend to Eventually Resume but I have a way of losing interest and never regaining it...

Vashti said...

oh a;ex, i only wish i knew bear's feelings for bears. my dream is that one day there will be an episode of "bear vs. bear" in which bear tries to out-survive a wild grizzly. my other dream is that he will wear the "i love bears" shirt i made [and will eventually send to him once i have enough money to waste on overseas shipping] in one of his episodes.

ps- the t-shirts were made for a little fan club i started [called bare thrylls.. the name of our viewing party drinking game].. i thought that should be noted so i don't sound like i just made it willy nilly.

riese said...

I just now took a minute to read the reviews of Lying (it caught my attention at first so I added it to the list but i didn't have time to do in-depth research on it) and listen to this: "In the end, Lying is fundamentally true, just as a great novel or indeed any great work of art is true: in a way that has nothing to do with fact."

Um, hello!?!!?! This is like BEGGING to be read by all of us! It's like she wrote it FOR auto-win book club. It's gonna give me a lot of feelings and I'll probs at least write five emo blog posts at 3 AM after reading it that'll make everyone uncomfortable/comfortable before we even have our first book club meeting.

I'm a little nervous that she's going to say a lot of the things I like to say and take the words out of my mouth and make me feel like I'll never write a book 'cause it's all been said, but whatevs.

I'm actually worried that Family and Other Accidents might be too good -- and how long can we talk about how good something is? I think that Lying might be more controversial and interesting to talk about and flesh out, especially since I think 50% of my readership has probably been diagnosed with some sort of mental illness or has a girlfriend who was batshit crazy, so it's something I'm sure we all have strong opinions about.

Also, it looks like there's a lot of used copies, so I might try to hoard them all and do some kind of "buy auto-gear, get a free book" deal, so if you think that might interest you, then hold off on buying it just yet. I'll also have a contest soon too, like last year, and you might win!

Oh also it's true Caitlin has never been on the subway. Clearly I have a co-dependency problem so deep-rooted that I actually invented her presence in a scene she was 100% unlikely to actually be a part of.

OK, more on the rest of everyone's feelings later wheee!

riese said...

By "last year" I meant "last time."

And also I'd like to amend my comment reference to caitlin not being on the subway by saying that even though she wasn't there, it's still fundamentally true in a way that has nothing to do with fact.

See that? See what I did there?

The Brooklyn Boy said...

Uh, yeah, that quote in the review is the one that prompted my entire third comment. So uhm you should all read Family and Other Accidents (by nicest author ever Shari Goldhagen, who once eailed me to say thanks for a blog mention) but I'm pretty sure Lying picked itself for the AWBC.

The Brooklyn Boy: Reversing positions like Obama on energy ... and McCain on everything he stood for previous to his presidential run.

Anonymous said...

see what you did there? that's what you do.


i just love that you wrote about us being on the subway. that was the real kicker. obvs i was there in your heart.

riese said...

That IS what I do I bring it back aroundddddd. In my heart for sure.

(BB: Now all you need is for Paris Hilton to make you an endorsed infomercial stating how we can all read "lying" for Book Club, but then ALSO we can read "Family and other Accidents" on our own time or maybe in the next round.)

Anonymous said...

See what you did there? That's what I do!

El N said...

Dang, blogger dumped my first comment. Anyway, I was just giving a shout-out to Lynda Barry b/c I love her like a million - whether you read the book you mention or not, you should definitely read her previous one, Cruddy for something deliciously fucked up. LB owns the category for capturing how ordinarily cruel childhood can be. Ernie Pook's Comeek = sublime.

caitlinmae said...

I'll just chime in and agree with the brooklyn boy.
Besides... Zadie Smith was much better at her pastiche of multi- age/ethnic/philosophical characters by On Beauty (IMHO)

JD said...

Um, yeah, I'm with Alex- haven't heard of any of the suggested AWBC selections (but enjoyed reading the comments). I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever is picked, bc it's just good to finally be making time for non-scientific lit again. Secret's out-- Autofun is my source for all things literary...if you ever need any sciencey-type-expertise, holla.

cao said...

so i'm guessing we're reading slater's lying?

a. said...

So I went to the Amazon thing for Lying and the first page on the LOOK INSIDE! thing is...



I exaggerate.



So yeah....
I might even have to read this one. And I might also have to hunt you down and make you read that A.M. Homes book I've been harassing you about for approx 3 months.

Anonymous said...

I think the next book should be....

Lying: A Memoir, by Lauren Slater

I wonder if my ex girlfriend ever did write a book like she said she would, maybe under the pseudonym of one Miss Lauren Slater?

RH

eric mathew said...

oh to the my g-d. i think any sound good. needz a new books to read.

something happy maybe... idk.

ohy well. omg... seriously had 6 martimis plus 2 cosomos....

i am totes a socialite;.... why am i commenting? anyway ms. thang you hang tight.

as we say over at wicked... tell them how i am defyongz ravifty.... omg idina is nuts.... of ocurse gay and drunk would talk about idina.

lets play six degrees of idina././..

okay idina was in rent
daphne was in rent
haviland was daphnes u/s
crap.. i g ive up....

anyway. later gator... (like lacoste).

Meghan said...

Well, I picked up Family & Other Accidents at work today and I'm already a few chapters in. I'll start looking for Lying at bookstores. Book club makes me happy.

Anonymous said...

instead of voting for a new book, can i just suggest one you might like? ann-marie macdonald's "fall on your knees". i think it's the most complete book i've ever read and, since i do like most of the books you suggest and/or talk about, i will assume that the thing might work in reverse and you would actually like this one. give it a try, when you have time for 700 pages of drama and beauty [then again, i read it like 5 times and i do believe in the comparison between reading and sex.]

Anonymous said...

I found you via Haviland Stillwell.Your recent blog posts resonate with me since my work often encompasses brilliance vs. insanity, creativity, self-destructive thinking and behaviors, and all things mental health.
I'd love to send you a copy of my book, MOMMY I'M STILL IN HERE, to consider for the book club; and I'd happily do an online, in-print or interactive interview or author chat if your group would like.

Thanks for the great read. Kate

caitlinmae said...

I'd like to nominate eric mathew for the second annual Semicolon Spirit Award
for his rendition of "defyongz ravifty"-- the new hit from Wicked!
(said with great love, because homeboy handles his keys far better than i do six martinis in)

eric mathew said...

@ caitlinmae.... haha omg! what happened? that is an honor though. i am actually shocked with the typing as well.

i'm not sure why I always decided to comment on Riese's blog when I have had some drinks.

riese said...

bb: If Family is as good as Wao, we won't have all that much to talk about. But I'll read it anyway.

meghan: well, "lying" has a lot of fiction in it? did you like lydia davis?

razia: the comment that started a movement!

lozo: you watch cobert! and then you tell me about it.
Five minutes? is that all it takes?

stephanie w: I wanna read it for sure, one of these days, it's on my list. I actually was about to put Calamity Physics on the list and then remembered you being underwhelmed by it and decided against it.

adam:Maybe if you weren't always sitting around re-reading James Joyce, you would've gotten to White Teeth by now! Aren't you so excitant about LYING A MEMOIR?

erin: I'm also excitant, obvs, it's gonna be like Food Dance but BOOK DANCE. Actually those two things have nothing in common I just wanted to say "food dance."

vashti: well, it may not be available in the local library, but you can win!

cao: um, how's ... Lying?! YAY!

a;ex: I like it when i learn new things about you in the comments, like that you watch Cobert. Obviously I fully considered becoming Andy Warhol's twitter, but then I realized that'd be item 40 on my "things i do for free for no reason " list. etc.

vashti: THat made me think of that SNL skit and also my whole family in Chicago going "DA BEARS." etc.

caitlin: hiiii i already responded to this comment basically when I said that I had fully inserted you into that memory. I'm so excitant to take you on the subway one afternoon when it's empty and not scary, we can read together and you can see all the crazies!!! love and pinkberry!

emilykate: You want to read Lying? Well then WE WILL READ LYING!

ellen: Yeah that's the same reason best of everything interested me -- I wanna read "The Group" too by mary mccarthy. I read her "manhattan when I was young," the rent prices made me depressed.

bb: OOO I love Janice Erlbaum. I read "Girlbomb" and it was terrific. I think she's still in hardcover though.

mercury: I have a way of doing that too. I mean there's half-read books everywhere. And then one day i finish a book and need a new one to read and then I pick up one of the ones I never finished and somehow power through it. It worked with Grace Paley, Tama Janowitz, a bunch of "best of" anthologies ... and many moreeeeeee.

davidus maximus: that IS what you do! i try to do it too. doo doo doo.

el n: Yeah I'm so pumped about that book, I'm obvs gonna read it anyway. Everything I've looked at about it really intrigues me. You're one of my favorite recommenders!

caitlinmae: Thank you for your humble opinion ... I will take it into consideration. holler!

jd: I like that kind of power (being your source for all things literary). I will use that power to my advantage, and I won't make you read Shopaholic. How's Lying? re: science, one day I might have a question about superpowers, saving the cheereleader, etc.

cao: You guess right.

a: I will read the A.M. Homes book one day I promise! I just knew Caitlin had already read it, so if we did that for book club I couldn't count on her to talk to me about it when I finish it before everyone else 'cause she finished it ages ago. Also if you like AM Homes you should listen to this New Yorker podcast about Deviants (a conversation between AM Homes and Miranda July.

anonymous: I've totally racked my brain and I don't think I have any ex-girlfriends with the initials RH, which means you must have dated someone else who claimed to be writing a book that you thought would be about lying. Was it Jenny Schecter?

eric mathew: There's a lot of really super special things about this comment but my personal favorite thing is that you remembered to hyphenate g-d but spelled "defying gravity" as "defyongz ravity." I think the last link of your six degrees is finding a 3-d way to link haviland to you ...

meghan: you're like the best reader ever. yay book club!

fio: I need to figure out how to consolidate my book recommendations into a list that will be immediately accessible to me when i go to barnes and noble confused about what it is exactly I'm supposed to be looking for?

kate mclaughlin: Oooo Haviland Stillwell number one flirt! OMG your offer sounds amazing and I will keep it in mind. Right now I'm in this um, phase, where I think that reading about how to deal with a bipolar child might just make me feel guilty about my failures to deal with a bipolar girlfriend once upon a time. So let's do it like in a few months? I'd LOVE to interview you, you seem to have intersets and experience that are useful to me and all of us and yay! Thanks for commenting!
Thank you for the (future) great read.

caitlinmae: I know right, that's like the dance mix superslam version, but also, like, with cosmos!

eric mathew: the only thing anyone should ever do while they're drunk is comment on riese's blog.

eric mathew said...

I think I got it...

Haviland was in Fiddler with Rosie
Rosie has a blog...
I was the peace tee photo on Rosie's blog...

I think that kind of works. I am editing an documentary on Dance, Dance Revolution and my mind has done that FCP cross over thing where you can't see straight.

Meghan said...

I love everything Lydia Davis has done. But I have to read them slowly--one or two at a time, take a break, go back to it.