Sunday, May 21, 2006

Six Degrees of Craigy McCraigerson

Spring 2003, Yaffa Cafe: Meg bounces on the red sticky glittery plastic of her chair and asks, Grasshopper, do you know about craigslist?

I still had another 16 months before I'd move to NYC, and I was drunk and trendy and obscenely thin, wearing the coolest Freewheelin' Sweet Marie jacket of all time, picking at vegetables and professing cross-country love to Scot via text message. No, I said.

Well, you can find a sublet there. For next summer. It's just the best!

So in May 2004, I jumped on the webbernet, like a surfer surfing real live waves, and I took a ride on the information superhighway, like driving a train on the tracks, and I put an ad on craigslist and I found, easily, Lindsay and her four month West Village sublet. I lived there 'til Krista moved out here in September.

So last week, when Lewis asked me if I knew about craigslist [it related to a story, I think, probably about legos], I was like, "Yeah, DUH! Like, I owe them my whole life."

Then I realized...fuck...I owe them my whole life!

Which made me feel like the biggest dork ever. I am, though, and I'm at peace with that.

Click on this to make it bigger (it's like The Chart, sort of, but without Alice being so cute in her little glasses):

8 comments:

Nicoel said...

Very interesting.

If my sugar daddy plan works out, I too, will owe my life to craigslist

Betty said...

I met a lot of my friends on craigslist my first year and they are all normal!

riese said...

CL: Bringing under-paid and over-educated young ladies and desperately lonely/awkward over-paid old men together for "mutually beneficial arrangements" since 2002.

And re: Phone Sex...
Very underrated.
Some of us do it for free, you know.

I feel that perhaps Ann Arbor CL struggles because Ann Arbor has a lot of actual bullentin boards. You know, the physical kind that require the usage of tangible things like thumb-tacks and flyers and stuff? Like, at the Food Co-Op and the Student Union and all those real live places? Maybe?

riese said...

And Fiesty--yeah, so did I! I think it's changing now. It's super-easy to find web-cam photos of people (who often resemble, just a little bit--the michelin man) looking to have various body parts of theirs (or yours) licked/sucked/"teased"/"massaged," but not as easy to find cool people who actually want to hang out with their clothes on (at least at first) as it was back when I was a young girl (aka last year). But love still blossoms on craigslist, I say as I sit here with my smokin' hot friend who met her wonderful boyfriend on craigslist.

And, as a fellow midwestern-new-york-transport-who-drinks-too-much: I love your blog a lot. I directed fifty of my favorite people (who hadn't already seen the link on gawker) to the shady-text messaging post. You're awesome.

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the kind words, and good luck with the post college ennui!

Craig
craig@craigslist.org

Tracy Starr said...

Looking for GREAT phone sex? Check me out at callahottie.com