quote: "... it seems to me that life is just a series of long, jagged peaks of joy -- accompanied by a brooding and enduring sense of a loss -- of powers, of love, of favorite shirts, of moments and opportunities and notebooks that together constitute the passage of one human, me, bobbing floating skipping like a flat stone down the river of life. It's massive, this sense of things; it's anonymous yet it feels personal from "here." (Eileen Myles, "Lost in Canada: a 3,600 word advertisement for my missing notebook.")
Insomnia Poem #8
Loners. Insomnia. Club Crackers.
The day has exhausting expectations.
Then sky breaks black, light goes slack --
oh and -- there, smack, smack
my mind's alert for empty violent/violet hours,
no one expects anything of you at 3 A.M.
so whatever you do is fine. Like Club Crackers
because they were on sale
and taste like butter.
I always wanted a book with a hole in it
so I could hide a magic key.
I always wanted to be a delia*s catalog model.
I could roll my eyes just so.
To the back of my head and then some.
The back, where I keep things like
my brain is a book with a hole in it,
and my window looks into your living room,
which is also your room and your blooming doom and gloom.
delia*s names its pants.
morgan, alex, jordin, riley, brooklyn.
people like to know what they're getting into.
especially teenagers' thighs, sky-high, bye bye.
here's my key, here's my holes, let's fly.
I wish we could still use the word "bloomers."
1. Omg, Wtf: Annals of Crime: The Chamelon (@the new yorker)
2. Queen of Tots: "Gay men are the unsung heroes of the child beauty pageant circuit." (@radar online). fourfour's take on it here: (@fourfour)
3. My heart broke into small pieces when I saw Jack Spicer: "[Response to the Loyalty Oath]" (@poetry magazine)
4. Good Writers, Weird Voices: Hearing is Believing: The Vanished Glories of Spoken-Word Recordings (@wall street journal)
5. I'm gonna be a douchebag and instead of seeing Dark Knight, just read the review on n+1.
[sidenote. On Gessen's blog, he quotes an email from the reviewer: "I think it’s a work of pure propaganda, and I think every movie theatre showing it needs to be burned down.”] (@n+1)
6. The Top 10 Female TV Characters Women Want To Be and Men Want to Be With. I agree with maybe 5 of them. Holler Claire Huxtable! (@defamer)
7. More great news for ladies! Anger in the Office - it hurts women more.(@cnn)
8. My Life in Sales, by Ann Patchett: A month of living in a suitcase, eating in airports, and cracking your forehead open against hotel-room walls in the middle of the night often comes to very little. But the only thing worse than going on book tour is not going. (@the atlantic)
9. Interview with Jonathan Groff from Spring Awakening: "Not Getting Naked Enough in 'Hair'" (@ny mag)
10. What Do Crack Cocaine and Journalism Have in Common: On David Car On David Carr -- Truth Junkie? (@nymag)
11. Twitter's Business Model? Well, Ummmm...(@wired)
12. Hipster: The Dead End of Western Civilization (@adbusters) (thanks Stef)