Sunday, January 25, 2009
Sunday [Auto] Fun Day - 01.25.09.
Hey dudes! Today is the first day of the rest of your life. Are you ready to take the plunge? I haven't edited our video yet, or written a Sunday Top Ten, or done laundry, or flown back to New York City. But one of those things will happen tomorrow, as will The L Word recap. BTW, if you like/tolerate/witness The L Word you should go watch Lezberado, it's a vlog-style show that Showtime produces online and I have it embedded on AutoStraddle. There was this other girl who did it, and now that girl isn't doing it so now I am and somehow over 500,000 people have watched it this weekend, it's the #1 most viewed People & Blogs Video this week and #24 most viewed overall, which's cool/weirdo. So if you like/loathe the show check it out.
I get back to NYC tonight (sunday night). It's always hard to come back from being away. It makes me think of always being away last year and then of a whole lifetime being away. I'm listening to "Swimming Pool," it's perfect 'cause part of what makes West Hollywood kinda dreamy is all those big boxy turquoise tanks of perfect artificial starshiney glow.
ZOMG! I just had the best idea ever. At the end of Season Six, we should have a roundtable discussion -- maybe in a podcast format, like they do at the Grace Paley Center for Media or whathaveyou -- like with all the people who've hated/pretended to endure the show for the last six years -- people who've been recapping for at least three years (i guess?) -- to talk about how it's changed our worlds and how the online community has shaped the show. Me, Dorothy Snarker, Scribegrrl, KC&Elka ... who else?
quotes: "She'd never understand me because I like too many things and get all confused and hungup running from one thing to another 'til I drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anyone except my own confusion." (Jack Kerouac, On the Road)
- You guys, Ilene Chaiken is the decider. She's not gonna tell you about her decisions because she doesn't want anyone to tell her that there are no weapons of mass destruction and it's a stupid war.
- I just discovered Proof, a new section of The New York Times investigating "alcohol and American life." I honestly find this subject fascinating -- not in a "hey bro i love to get wasted" kind of way, but in a genuinely sociologically and culturally compelling way. You should check it out.
- What's the word (blogstar?) for when a kid from your high school and your favorite blogger/recapper watch a movie together and write about it? "Gabe and Rich Watch a Movie: Goodbye Uncle Tom."
- The Planet Podcast for Episode 601: A Long Night's Journey Into Day.
- A Change Web Designers Can Believe In: Viget Inspire looks at the new Whitehouse.Gov, with a look back on Clinton's '96 page and after.
- Real Men don't like spas, says the Times Online UK.
- Obama's Inaugural Realism Promises Great Things makes my point about realism & pessimism being helpful attitudes, numbskulls!
-More Letters From "Thanks and Have Fun Running the Country: Kids' Letters to President Obama" at McSweeny's.
-Playboy: The Hugh Hefner Story - n+1 reviews The Complete Centerfolds.
-My number one fear: the end of solitude. "Technology is taking away our privacy and our concentration, but it is also taking away our ability to be alone."
-Twitter Sexuality by Violet Blue at The San Francisco Gate.