A while back, if I remember right, my life was one long party where all hearts were open wide, where all wines kept flowing.
One night, I sat Beauty down on my lap. --And I found her falling. --And I roughed her up.
I armed myself against justice.
I ran away.
[from "A Season in Hell," by Arthur Rimbaud]
insomina poem #2.
when i rub off my eyeliner
i get two black eyes.
like i've been in a street fight,
me vs. the street,
i'm street-wise, personality
my palms are coal full,
joyful, another day older.
i ate all the cashews.
i don't like peanuts.
this is what remains.
when i rub off my eyes
i get two blank stares
like that blink-blink i get
when you don't get it.
clap on, clap off,
blink blink blink blink
slap. i just ate another peanut.
i do things i don't like
all the time.
p.s. i'd prefer cashews.
-by Marie Lyn Bernard at 2:40 AM, July 9th
1. Clay Felkner's most significant legacy was inventing "service journalism: "Secret service" (@the new republic)
2. Your daily dose of "how the internet is changing how we read and think":"How is the Internet Changing Literary Style?" (@steamboats are ruining eveything)
2. Rex Sorgatz: Oversharing Is Sometimes Okay, Says Oversharer (@gawker)
3. Thoughts About Thinking & Drinking (@jezebel)
5. Re: my boycrush Ira Glass's new book The New Kings of Nonfiction: Who Are the Queens of Nonfiction? (@the chronicle of higher ed)
6. While we're on the topic of my boycrushes, Sam Anderson reviews The History of Hooch. (@nymag)
7. Jaime on Rules of Frugal Living that She Refuses to Follow (@cheaphealthygood)
8. Because There's No Such Thing As Too Much Reality TV: Rich on Britan's Missing Top Model @fourfour)
9. The works that have influenced Obama illustrate that he would be the most literary president in recent memory - and one likely to govern from the center. What Does Barack Read?
10. Diane DiMassa & Cristy C. Road talk about Live Through This.(@feministing.) Which I read and will talk about in the next stuff i've been reading.
Me and Haviland made a Vlog/Advice Column! Wheee! I hope you're on the edges of your seats!