Saturday, June 07, 2008

H & R! Haviland and Riese Advice Column #1: You've Got Feelings, We've Got Answers

Hello! Welcome to the first installment of H&R: Haviland and Riese's stunning advice column. This is where we fix all your problems instead of fixing our own. By default, we're answering the first five e-mails we received but keep 'em coming, and we'll keep on coming ... all over the keyboard. Also, P.S., my Mom is here this weekend, and she's: 1. watching some weird "Broadway Promos" channel where Mary Poppins is singing crazy, 2. Convinced I need to get a master's degree in social work, so that I can devote myself to advice. That's great advice. That's exactly what I need to do, is pour additional money into the University system, which's so far proved immensely useful. Anyone want a ten page paper on the rise of the modern American novel? I'm selling it for $10, it's a buyer's market. 3. Is now telling me that I need to begin this column with a disclaimer that we are not mental health professionals, we are "literary" and "humor." If you have a real problem, you should see a professional. Like my Mom, the social worker.

Mom: "If someone asks you advice about killing themselves or killing somebody, you need to direct them elsewhere. People take things seriously and they will find you and track you down and kill you. If you think I'm joking or exaggerating, I'm not. You think I'm being overdramatic, don't you?"
Me: "No! I'm trying to transcribe, you're talking too fast."

Got it? Okay!

Also -- we'd like to invite you -- the reader -- to chime in with your advice if you've got it. Also, this is sort of a test run. Hav's coming out to NYC in a few weeks, so we'll do an advice vlog for a few special questions, and we're gonna cover some questions on ichat, etc. So send us more questions, we need more questions, more! more!

Dear H & R,

My new boss recently relocated desks and is now sitting next to me. Her ringtone is 'Clocks' by Coldplay, and every time I hear it ring I want to throw myself off the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Her taste in music is severely affecting my time in my cubicle. My co-workers have advised that raise this issue directly with her, however confronting people just isn't how I roll. If you could suggest a more passive aggressive solution to my problem then it would be well appreciated.

-Cold for Coldplay


Dear CFC,

Haviland: Confront. Srsly. Try this, "hey, would you mind turning your ringer to vibrate?" You obviously need to learn to be more aggressive. Do it with a smile, and your boss will understand. She's being very disrespectful to have a cell phone ringing in the workplace, anyway! This happens in dressing rooms all the time, and the best way to go, for sure, is just to ask nicely. I'm all about the direct approach. (of course you could just say, "oh em GEE!" every time it rings, but like i always say, why waste that kind of time?)

Riese: Although I'm a big fan of passive passiveness and aggressive aggressiveness in relationships w/friends, I fully support passive aggression in the workplace. What Haviland is suggesting is the kind of thing you might do if you were a confident, pro-active, forward-thinking problem-solver with a great deal of poise and direction. I'm not like that, I'm a wimp at work. Let's go:
1. Find out what music she hates the most and make that your ringtone, then set your phone to email alerts so it'll go off all the time. I can email you all day. Oh wait, I already do, Secret Person. She'll get so annoyed that she'll start to question her own behavior.
2.Next time it rings, grab it and throw it against the wall and go 'I HATE COLDPLAY!'
3. Start playing "Clocks" by Coldplay on an old-school boom box on repeat all day so she can't tell if it's her phone or the boom box. And if she's like "Stop playing Clocks on repeat all day, it's annoying," say, "Funny you should mention that ..." and so on.
4. All of those things take longer than just confronting, but c'mon, what else are you gonna do at work? Work? Right-o.

Dear H&R,

My girlfriend is moving cross-country to live with me (we've lived together before, so those dynamics are worked out). So, what should I do to make things easier for my girlfriend when she moves here? I worry pretty equally about the outcomes of either forcing her to hang out with my friends endlessly (whether she likes them or not) or leaving her at home alone all the time while I go socialize. Not that I don't think she'll make her own friends, of course, I'm just worried about the transition period between cutesy I'm-so-glad-you're-finally-here-let's-do-everything-togetherness and normal (somewhat separate, I hope) lives. Any advice would be appreciated.

-Full House

Dear FH,

Riese: So I have this theory which's that people expend the least amount of effort possible at all times in order to make it from sunrise to sundown without slitting their wrists. Which's just to say that if she gets on w/your friends straight away, she'll probs never bother to make her own, and then you'll be trapped in a 24-7-togetherness that'll eventually lead to either double suicide or the end of sex. I think you must ask yourself: "Do I truly want my girlfriend to attend this social event? If we didn't live together, would I invite her?" and if the answer is "yes," then invite her. But if you start inviting her for any reason besides a genuine desire to have her there (e.g., obligation, wanting her to feel included), that'll get unhealthy fast.

I did the cohab thing once. Howevs, 'cause I'd cheated on my boyfriend with a pledge at his fraternity as a prelude to what I saw (incorrectly) as our impending breakup, I was actually formally prohibited from attending his social gatherings. Then about four months post-cheating, he went out of town and his "brothers" invited me over and ragged on him all night and I had an a-ha! moment. Was there a point to this story? Oh, then I dumped his ass and his "brothers" helped me move out. Don't let that happen to you. Hey-o!

Ok, enough about memememee. Also, totally JK'ing, I just wanted to talk about myself and be humor, that would never happen to you, speaking of you; let's get back to you. Leaving her at home alone won't do anyone any favors, 'cause she's not gonna make new friends with your couch (howevs, there is the internet!). Work or school will be the best area for her to have a life separate from yours. Also, make out frequently and when she arrives, answer the door in nothing but whipped cream.

ALSO! (omg, I have so many feelings about this) If it's a big group gathering, you never know who your gf will click with. Maybe she'll end up being besties with a peripheral friend. Magic social evolution! KaZAM! It's not bad to have many of the same friends as your girlfriend, it happens often, just try to be aware of it happening organically instead of by default, if it does.

Tinkerbell says that your girlfriend wants a vodka-tonic and a back massage.

Haviland: I basically agree with the Riesling, except I haven't had the experiences of which she speaks, with the frat boys, etc. The main thing is to make sure you're still living your life, even while she's entered it. You absolutely do want to make her comfortable, but not at the expense of making yourself miserable. Make sure she feels like your place is also her place, and that can be as simple as picking out some cute things to decorate - candles, throw pillows, autowin collages, whathaveyou. I'm hoping she has a job, and she'll be able to make friends there. In any event, you should talk about this with her - tell her your concerns and that you are excited about making a life with her, but are cognizant of being too codependent, and want to keep your relationship great and sexy and honest and healthy. Hopefully she'll be respectful of your alone time with your friends, she'll meet her own, you'll have date time, alone time, etc...and it'll all work out. Just keep those lines of communication flowin'. (Did I just say that? oy...)

Riese: The main thing is to be sure you make an effort to maintain some romance and mystery -- a romantic night out is often less romantic when you witness your partner preparing for it, instead of seeing her just show up looking fantastic. Don't pressure each other to check in all the time (it's nice sometimes to go to Wal-Mart w/o your SO knowing you're going to Wal-Mart) and be sure you have lives just separate enough so there's still stuff to talk about. Like don't be "How was your day?" "Um, you should know, you were there for the whole thing." Etc.


Dear H&R,

How can you make people attracted to you without always having to be the friend... i.e., I would rather not be Ross to the Rachel, the Will to the Grace ... In other words ... what do I do?

-Friend Without Benefits

FWB,

Haviland: Oh, honey, haven't we all been here! You can't make anyone like you, dear - it'll just happen. If you're into someone and you're not sure if they reciprocate, flirt a little bit and try and figure it out, or ask one of their other friends. Leave a little "circe" (gift) at their place or at their work...nothing too romantic at first - better if it's sweet and/or funny. Make sure whatever it is can later be sluffed off as being a friendly gesture, but also, something that, if they are into you, they'll think is super sweet. If you find that they aren't into you, let it go! Don't waste your precious time obsessing over someone with whom it just ain't gonna happen!

Riese: I think what Haviland is saying is "lower your standards." Howevs, I think you can sometimes win someone over by showing them (subtly!) you can treat them right (if that's what they want) ... or by making yourself indispensable to them, like make them super codependent on you and then be like "look, either we take this relationship to the next level, or I'm outta here," and then they're like "fuck, I better keep you around otherwise who's gonna make dinner?" Mostly, I'd say that you need to talk about other romantic exploits (make some up if you don't have any) to make yourself seem like you're being desired by people all over the world.

But srsly, the most attractive trait a person can carry off is confidence. If you don't wanna be slotted as a "friend," then you need to be someone who knows what they're doing. Don't confess anything embarrassing or radiate neediness or inexperience right away. That'll come later, once you've already had a few rounds of riding the hobby horse wink wink.

Also:
1. Axe Body Spray.
2. Be mysterious and aloof, or better yet -- mysteriously aloof.
3. Didn't Ross & Rachel end up getting married? Just sayin' ...
4. I believe a great pop song once sang, "I can't make you love me if you don't, I can't make your heart feel something it won't." Right? Yeah. Think about it -- you can't force someone to be with you and you wouldn't want to. If they don't see how fabulous you are, then they're not the "one," 'cause "Thinks I'm fabulous" is a very important trait in a partner.
5. Get drunk and go to Manhunt.com, it works every time.

Haviland: I agree about the confidence thing, but the other advice? hm...maybe the axe body spray...this is a very good idea.

Riese: Secretly, I think my brother wears Axe Body Spray. And for someone with my genetic makeup, his luck with the ladies is not too shabby.

Dear H&R,

I've been with my girlfriend for about ten months. We're good together. The only problem is, she bites me. Really hard. I don't know how to explain away neck and shoulder bruises. What do you suggest?

-Bitten


Dear Bitten,

Riese: Listen up, Semi, I told you to just say you fell down the stairs! Oh wait -- ten months. NM. Um, okay anonymous Bitten, if you were my friend and you had neck and shoulder bruises and I was like, "what are those?" and you went, "my girlfriend bites me. Really hard," I'd be like HOLLA! and give you a high-five, and then we could go to the record store and have a few beers, maybe listen to some rock n' roll, etc.

But seriously, I think you need to make up a story -- like tell your girlfriend, "OMG, so apparently everyone at work has been chatting about my shoulder and
neck bruises and they think that you're like, abusing me, or -- I dunno, everyone's looking at me funny and thinking i have some sort of sordid secret life. So you have to stop! I know it's hot and fun, but I can't explain away these bruises forevs!" or something. Also, are you sure she's not a vampire and she's actually eating your blood? I think there was an L Word episode about this.

Haviland: I don't know about "making up a story." I'm never a fan of this. Do you like the biting? If not, then just ask her to stop, that you're into her, but not into that. If you do like it, you should just ask her to take a nibble on all the places that people at work won't see. What I would do is tell her she's really sexy (make sure to boost her up, so she doesn't think you're putting her down) and all the true things you love about her and her biting, but tell her you're afraid people are staring at your bruises. Suggest some places to nibble that aren't so visible.. In any event, talk to her about it - tell her this is kind of hard to bring up (obvs it is if you're writing to us about it and not just talking to her) but that it's important to be honest, because you do really think the relationship is great and that you're good together. This is a minor thing. The thing is, if you're in an intimate situation, and your mind is on "omg there she goes with that - how am i going to explain it this time?", then you're not really being all that intimate, and your mind is taken off of her. And don't you think she wants it to be on her and how good she's making you feel? So, thats the deal...communicate.

Riese: While we're on the topic, FYI ... DO NOT TOUCH HAVILAND'S FACE."

Haviland: "Do NOT touch my face."

Riese: "I just had another idea -- coat your body in poison, like people do when they don't want to bite their nails."

Dear H & R,

I came out to my parents two years ago, when I was 18. My mom's Cuban (w/very strong religious beliefs & "family morals") and my Dad had just been getting back into religion again. My mom stopped speaking to me for five months and my Dad thought I should let go of all my sins so God would forgive me, but I don't like being forced into religion ... or anything. Also, they asked me not to tell my younger brother, who was 15 at the time, and I agreed to wait 'til he was older -- I guess I wanted to give my parents something.

Last November, I put my foot down. I told my Mom I didn't want to just be "tolerated" and I had a right to tell my brother and so I did. He said he kinda already knew but it was still weird and when I tried to talk to him about it, he'd just shut down.

To make everyone else comfortable, I never talk about being gay or about girls I find attractive, but it's getting to a point of ridiculousness. Today I was driving my brother home from school, listening to Katy Perry's CD -- she sings "I Kissed a Girl" and "UR So Gay" (although Perry herself is straight). My brother FLIPPED OUT and asked me to change the song 'cause the last seven songs have been about "that." He can't even say the word "gay."

I love him so much and I'd do anything for him, but I'm getting so tired of trying to make everyone else comfortable while sacrificing being myself. I don't ever overstate it or throw it in anyone's face, and I never would, but I think listening to a song that mentions girls kissing each other or uses the word "gay" shouldn't be a problem.

Am I overthinking this? How do I approach my brother w/o him shutting down? Do I have a right to feel the way I do?

-IM So Gay.

Riese: Do you live at home with your parents? I feel like maybe you feel a little guilty for being gay 'cause they've told you to be, and that repressed self-loathing enables you to not feel you've got a right to actually be a whole person and demand that your whole person be loved and respected like everyone else.

Have you had a girlfriend? I'd suggest that you find a smokin' hot girlfriend who's totally into you, and then bring her over, and your brother will think it's hot and your parents will be like "omg, there are lesbians who don't wear flannel and chop down trees with hairy armpits," and she can win them over, etc. Actually I think what I am describing is a prostitute (not a bad idea!) In general ... I think it's hard to live your life feeling any kind of guilt for how you've chosen to live it. You'll never be able to feel fully comfortable in your skin until the people who love you can look at your skin and your face and your whole self and say, "it is good."

Haviland: I have a lot of feelings about this. Do you have anyone in your extended family or family friends who could be your ally on this, and help you to talk with your family? You need a team. Sadly, many, many people go through what you're dealing with - a family who believes fully in the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. So you're left feeling that if you even reference possibly thinking someone might be attractive, that you are being sinful and inappropriate and wrong. YOU ARE NOT WRONG. It's amazing that you told your mom you didn't want to just be tolerated -- maybe you can take it a step further and get her help on this? I think it freaks out families to think of their kid/sister as being gay because it, annoyingly, puts their mind into thinking of that person (you) in a sexual situation, and no one wants to think about their sister or kid having a sex life. What's important for your family to understand, and MORE importantly, for you to really be at peace with, is the fact that being a gay is really not a big deal. Really. Instead of dating a guy, it's going to be a girl. That's all. Align yourself with an ally or two, or 100. They are out there. You've found a blog full of them here, in fact! Didn't Jimmy get the memo that lesbians are hot? Send him the links to our websites! I'll leave you with this, from "Silent Legacy" by the Queen of being guilt-free about who you are, the extraordinary Melissa Etheridge, "Mothers, tell your children -be quick - you must be strong. Life is full of wonder. Love is never wrong."

Riese: I think you need to ask your Mom what it is precisely that concerns her -- is she worried you'll be poor w/o a man 'cause women have unequal earning power, or that you'll be ostracized, or is she legitimately worried that you're going to hell? Confront those concerns head-on. (Directly to the forehead.) Also, I feel like a lot of homophobia stems from the homophobic person being angered by/ashamed of their own gay feelings (a.k.a. The Fairbanks Syndrome) (see also: the evangelical Christian preachers getting blown in gas station bathrooms). 'Cause sometimes we're all a little bi. Ask your brother what exactly it is that bothers him -- is he embarrassed? Grossed out? (and if so, point out the idea of thinking about him having sex with a girl also grosses you out). Maybe if they're just worried what other people will think, you can offer them your closeted behavior around their friends and family in exchange for love within your immediate family. Or say you understand they don't approve, and that that'll never change, but you'd like to be able to be yourself around them, and that accepting you doesn't mean they're backing down on their beliefs. Ultimately it's their problem -- you've got no problem with how they live. They're the ones creating all this drama.

They need to know it's not their "fault," and that it's not gonna change. Show them books and movies and shows and Ellen & Portia! As long as you internalize their loathing, they'll get away with it -- they probs still think you can change, 'cause they don't understand that it's a part of you that you can't change. Once they do, they'll realize they've got two choices: accept it, or loose you. And the art of losing is hard to master, no matter what Elizabeth Bishop says.

FYI; there's nothing in the bible against lesbians. Just -- so you know. As Ruth told her gay son in Six Feet Under when he came out; "I don't get to chose which parts of you that I love like some kind of chicken."

Haviland: Yes, asking your mom what scares her so much would really put the ball in her court. Also, the more I think about it, I feel annoyed by everyone always saying that they aren't flaunting their sexuality or whatever - like as though you are walking down the street naked, waving a pride flag? I don't really get this. Most lesbians I know are pretty boring, actually - they live in homes, some of them have kids, many of them engage in gossip and obsession, not unlike seventh grade girls...but basically, if "flaunting" it means just being cool with who you are, whats the problem with this? I used to feel awkward about holding my girlfriends hand in front of my parents. But then I had to think, ok, if this were a guy, would I feel awkward? Well, probably. But the point - when you are passionate about something, don't you want to share it with the people you love?

Riese and I obvs have SO many feelings about this, and since I've been thinking about it for 15 years (srsly, I'm not kidding about that), I have a lot to say, and I feel like many of our readers might have thought a little about this, too! So, let's continue this dialogue!

33 comments:

Adam Tiller said...

10 points for sneaking Bonnie Raitt into your answers. Keep 'em comin.

Anonymous said...

Hey there, just a quick comment to say this is amazing! Both funny and deep at the same time. Nice idea and carry through...

eric mathew said...

omg your seriously the best. so great.

and i think i would get along so well with your mom as i do have a weakness for broadway promo channels.

for serious.

dani said...

dear H & R!
this kicks ass!
i totally love the advice column. i'm surprised and really impressed by the effort and work you invest in this...some serious advice but still funny and entertaining... i have so many feelings and so many thoughts...i need to think about that.
Way to go and so...
xoxo

Anonymous said...

you guys, this is so good! spreading the hav and riese advice is going to change people's lives for reals. also, i like the way you guys go back and forth, it's almost like you're in the same room, which is exciting and makes me happy.

Peach said...

you guys are nuts, but I heart yous X

a. said...

Edutainment!
Haha... you two are great.

Anonymous said...

Ah-mazing. Please do continue. Entertaining and heart-felt feelings all bundled into one. Perfection.

Mercury said...

Call it Human Resources. (I haven't read it yet but that came to me when I saw H&R... ok I'll read it now)

Haviland said...

We were totally playing on Human Resources...that or Historical Revisionism, both of which this "column" hopes to be! LOL really.

Also, to give credit where credit is fully due, Semicolon herself designed the lovely graphic at the top there. She's a mighty talented little punctuation mark.

Bourbon said...

This is amazing. Haviland is a genius. Riese is hilarious. Razia is entertained.

Re: the last problem. My way of dealing with family is just accepting the fact that we have different ideals, which I know is probs v passive and lazy but the truth is that there is a lot of my life that they don't know about aside from my sexuality so why is this any different? I understand that most people, however, may be more open with their families about who they are in general and so I get why it must burn to have to hide the one part of you. My only advice is to disconnect, it works wonders. This is also probably very bad advice. Holler.

Anonymous said...

In regard to the last question, I'd like to quote Mother Bernard herself (shes visiting NYC!) when I say "In the end, every parent just wants their child to be happy." that's the bottom line I think... your parents will have to realize that this is about your happiness sooner or later.

ummm giving advice is hard, kudos to H&R for real.
lovelovelove this idea.

riese said...

adam - You're the last person I expected to be able to identify that song (obvs I couldn't), but ... yaysers!

in kc - Thanks! Yay!

eric mathew - and also, a weakness for broadway shows themselves. She listens to this talkin' broadway show on Sirus.

dani - Thanks! Yay!

caitlin - one day we will all be together in a big warehouse! oo we should have a therapy room. write that down.

peach - we are! but thanks! yay

A. - thanks! yay!

Anonymous - we will! thanks! yay!

merc - Oh, that's fully the idea. Haviland's idea actually, though Alex made the graphic.

Haviland Stillwell - hay! If you were a punctuation mark, you'd be an emoticon, I just want you to know that.

Razia - Thanks! Yay!
It's not bad advice --- it's just, as you say, different things work for different people -- that's like with my grandparents, it's not like they know that much else about me, so I don't feel like it's that big of a deal, really. But I guess, then there's the internet. I guess it's like -- you have to think, if it was a boy, would i tell them? Probs not. So why tell them about the girl? Or whatever.

a;ex - Hi! Giving advice IS hard. For other people maybe. Clearly I can talk talk talk talk talk. My advice for you is keep doing what you're doing. yay!

frank said...

wow. these are very serious problems. complicated ones. difficult ones to solve. or, the complete opposite of all that.

1. it's a fucking ringtone. deal with it. if she gets five calls in a day, it's what? ninety seconds of your eight-hour day? suck it fucking up. if i complained to everyone i encounter about the little things that bothered me during the course of my day, i'd have to change my name to Joey Confrontation.

2. just do whatever. you're never going to be happy. relationships are awesome, aren't they? nothing like putting immense pressure on things that are supposed to be pressure-free, like seeing your friends. or not seeing your friends. woe is you.

3. make more money or work out a lot and become more physically attractive. don't listen to these two. you can make anyone like you. oh, do you wear glasses? because i saw a movie with freddie prinze once, and the lesson was glasses make you ugly.

4. jesus. tell her to stop biting you. you really need help with this? ten months and you don't feel comfortable talking to her about this in a straight-forward manner? people really anger me. you sound like a real brave person. real secure with yourself.

5. i think the real question is why do you feel so compelled to constantly talk to your 15-year-old brother about your being gay. you're gay. he gets it. you said he got it. let it go. don't you have others you can talk to about being gay that aren't teens who aren't emotionally developed yet? also, another ringing endorsement for religion.

glad i could help.

a. said...

...Lozo's advice is actually really good, but HRL just isn't smooth.

riese said...

Lozo, maybe you should change your name to Johnny Confrontation?

frank said...

Joey. You never read me anymore wah wah wah wahhhh!!!!

come on. a cell phone ringing in an office? really, riese and haviland? really?

frank said...

look! a-period agrees with me. this was the most fun i've had here since SATC came out.

riese said...

She was kidding Lozo, it's a joke -- it made me LOL. You know, joking. Like I hope you are when you say ... most of the things you say.

Waa waa waaa = Lozo.

Anonymous said...

Lozo, my advice to you would be to not start your own advice column.

(That one's for free!)

stef said...

i had a bite mark problem once, and may have been a bite mark problem once or twice myself. it made for amazingly awkward conversations with aforementioned biter's adorable, oblivious, devout churchgoing mother. my advice is cover-up makeup, which doesn't really cover anything up but shows effort. the other advice is to tell said biter to be careful to not leave bruises. when it starts to get a little outta hand, REMIND HER - kindly and in the spirit of "the mood" or whathaveyou. it can be done, and biting can still happen, and everybody wins!

my other advice is don't tell your parents anything. also, to fwb, you sound nice. nobody likes nice. chicks dig jerks, or so i hear. also, call lozo, he sounds lonely.

well done, h+r.

frank said...

i don't think that was kidding. but here. i want you to solve one of my current life problems that i can't figure out on my own.

i love peanut butter. love it to death. on white bread, bagels, with chocolate, with pretzels. you name it, i think peanut butter makes it better.

but here's my huge life dilemma i can't solve on my own. the next time i purchase peanut butter, what kind should i get? i'm so confused! there are so many choices, you guys!

do i go creamy? chunky? super chunky???? OMG! i'm at a loss! plus, there's also a honey-roasted flavor! what do i do?

Skippy? Jiffy? Peter Pan!!?!?! arrrrrgggghhh!!!

anyway, if you can answer this for me ASAP, i would be in such a huge debt to you two. seriously. if this problem was something as simple as an office ringtone, i'd take care of it on my own, but it's not.

thanks! lolomgrotf!

a. said...

Oh you two, so much sexual tension.
Lozo's advice on problem 1,2,4 and 5 is actually decent. Just a little... you know, manly and harsh. Why don't I agree with Lozo's advice on number 3? Because glasses should never be discouraged as glasses make everyone look a little hotter.

As for the peanut butter, you have to go with smooth, it's so versatile.

DH said...

Riese and Haviland: Thank you for solving the ringtone problem, and obvs for humouring me.

Lozo: I love you. Also, clearly there are bigger problems out there than a Coldplay ringtone. For example, why the Spiderman 3 people think Kirsten Dunst needs a whole day to get to James Franco's apartment. Omg wtf what's up with that?

riese said...

Lozo, as much as I'd like to give you advice on peanut butter, I feel it's necessary that I first take a big time out and figure out how to deal with this problem -- as pulled from your blog on Monday, March 10th, 2008:

"On the bus, you know what happens all the time? People's cell phones ring. Forever. They ring, and no one answers them. So for about 30 seconds, I'm subjected to whatever shitty song by an artist featuring another shitty artist that is just a ripoff of a song from the 1970s by another shitty artist is on some d-bag's cell phone.

My next ringtone is going to be a Middle Eastern man screaming over and over again, "It is the will of Allah! It is the will of Allah!" Only when it rings, I'll act like I don't know what it is. Since the sound will be coming from my area, I'll have to do something, so I'll look under my seat frantically and begin yelling, "I hear ticking!" That'll wake some people up at 8:30 in the morning. Stop talking on your phone on the bus, a-holes."

frank said...

you *DO* read my blog!

and the second i e-mail someone for advice on how to handle that situation, it'll be the same! yay!

riese said...

And, I'm back! I've decided Lozo -- first of all, my unsolicited advice re: your problem with the cell phone ringtones on busses (as I quoted above, from your blog) that you should probably stop taking the bus, or get an ipod.

As for my solicited advice: personally, I think chunky tastes the best. Howevs, it's hard to spread sometimes and makes holes in the toast. I enjoy Jif, I think it's a good product at a good price and isn't as sugary as Skippy or Peter Pan. I heart peanut butter, so really I am an expert. Also, LOL OMG! My word verif is "Smuckers," maybe that's a sign, I should take that back. I'd ask Haviland, but I've never in my life seen her eat peanut butter except in the form of Nature's Valley peanut butter granola bars, which are also my favorite.

a;ex - nice call.

stef - I know, I think someone could make a killing marketing cover-up makeup that works on bite marks etc. I've been on both sides of it too, but when I was the bitee, my bites were from my gay best friend who wanted to be a vampire, it wasn't sexual. Anyhow, my Mom suggested turtlenecks.

There's a famous Quentin Crisp quote: "When asked, "Shall I tell my mother I'm gay?", I reply, "Never tell your mother anything."

a. - I fully agree about the glasses. I think glasses make everyone look hotter. Even, I daresay, Rachel Leigh Cook.

Crystal - Obvs no problem, clearly it is good for me to feel I am helpful in some small areas if not larger areas, also, as you know, I LOL'ed, and I hope you take my advice. Anyway, I know what you mean about the Spiderman movie. wtf?!!?!?!?!?

lozo - right, 'cause writing it on a blog to complain to as many people as possible is indicative of vastly superior emotional capacities. if only you would email me asking for advice on your real problems. Maybe we could help you with your anger. Love you!

frank said...

emotional capwhaticies? you, as always, missed the point. i'm peacing out of this dealie, yo.

Anonymous said...

Dear H-R,

Thank you for your advice. I will do everything you say. No, really, I probably will...

Anonymous said...

Awesome idea. I am a social worker... for real. You gave great advice, maybe your mom is right. (Except for that the #1 rule of social work is: "don't give advice". Actually the first rule is: "don't have sex with your client" so the advice thing is the second.)

Keep up the awesomeness.

Bokolis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bokolis said...

This certainly has the readership buzzing. Brilliant, highly entertaining and plenty of excellent advice, which is strong circumstantial evidence that you don't employ it.

But, really, how often does Haviland meet people who don't find her attractive? I would think her implied message to all those friends without benefits is, stop the f'n stalking.

Switching topics, is "y'all're" in the autowin dictionary? If not, might I suggest it? I was in Kansas, once, and a woman (in a Wal-mart) came up to my buddy and me and said, "Are y'all findin' what y'all're lookin' for?" Since I thought that I was too far west for the drawl, I ducked my head like a firecracker went off

riese said...

dave lozo - we didn't miss the point. we just thought your point was stupid and not an actual valid point. stop trying to be right all the time when maybe sometimes you're wrong. I feel like what you really want is for me to bend you over an smack you ass with a whip,right? I mean, you're already playing masochist, i just have to find a costume.

emiy kate - thanks for your question ! I hope that we helped a little, at least to some degree a little.

maggie - yay social workers! She is still on my back about this and that i need to put up some kind of professsional disclaimer. I feel like the context in which this takes place is its own disclaimer, ,kinda/

comment deleted -- who are you? what are you afraid of

bokolis - as for .. haviiland has probabaly not met anyone like that in recent years, but child and adolescent memories shin on and through and on on ...

I like that word. y'all're. I feel like it probs gets shafted alot for "what're y'all gonna order"? yanow. anyway> automatic lexicon induction