Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Rosie, Ellen, and The Well of Brokeback Loneliness: What Else Could I Say, Everyone Is Gay, What Else Could I Write?

Way back in the day, when I was a little girl growing up in the tender liberal enclave of Ann Arbor, Michigan, my little brother and I were fully dedicated to daily 4 P.M. viewings of The Rosie O'Donnell Show. That was right after school, though our viewing didn't cease come summertime, we'd obviously tape every episode. We also ate a lot of Cheez-Its. Then I grew up, Rosie left her show, and I stopped eating Cheez-Its and instead went to the gym every morning at 11 A.M to watch The View on TV.

So, just try to imagine the absolute bliss that radiated the very core of my being when I learned that....

ROSIE O'DONNELL IS GONNA BE THE NEW CO-HOST OF THE VIEW!!!!!

It was super-funny when Joy Behar noted that, following this announcement at the Emmys, the camera cut straight to Ellen: "Nice how they went right to a shot of the other lesbian on daytime TV." This makes me happy because maybe there won't be any elephants in the room on "The View" [besides, of course, the deflated body of the Payless shoes lady], like there are on other daytime shows [Ellen, I love you dearly no matter what xoxoxo, but it's weird how you totally avoid the subject, though also understandable a little 'cause of what happened with your brilliant sitcom].



Not to make it sound like I spent most of the early 90s watching television...but I also LOVED Ellen's Show, originally titled These Friends of Mine and then re-titled Ellen. My best friend Alina and I did fab immitations of Ellen from the self-defense class episode, obviously one of the funniest things ever on television. I totally heart Ellen's daytime television show, and I heart her style, her girlfriend and her dancing, so my world was totally rocked when I saw that, later this month, the whole cast of The West Wing is gonna be on her show to celebrate the series finale!!

OMG I hope they hear that 1, 2 step!


Yes ... but this week of gay love doesn't end there. Today, I was on the L train (lookin' like hell, which is why I didn't dry hump her right there) with my crush-of-the-week, Kim Stolz from America's Next Top Model.
On Saturday night, I made the mistake of watching Brokeback Mountain, which I hadn't seen before. Total cry-a-thon. Afterwards, you should read The Well of Loneliness, which I finally finished yesterday. Actually I couldn't read the last two pages in their entirety, because it was too fucking depressing. I think Stephen Gordan needs to be on The View with Jack Twist.



P.S. I don't actually get television in my house, so this is going to be a bit of a problem because I can't spend all day at the gym! Or can I?

1 comment:

riese said...

you're the second person to reference that book this week. i should read it.

also, you should move to new york city, then you can read it on a crowded subway train.or in a hammock with your friend marie.